Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Steps for Acquiring Evidence
- Identify a clinical problem
- Create a well-defined research question (using PICO)
- Translate PICO into a search strategy
- Brainstorm and gather synonyms
- Construct the search strategy
- Select most likely resources (databases)
- Tailor search strategy to database(s)
- Save search & export citations to reference manager
Subjects: Allied Health
, Citation Management
, Clinical Care/Decision
, Evidence Based Practice
, Library Resources
, Occupational Therapy
, Physical Therapy
, Research & Support
, Respiratory Care
When you find articles of interest in a database or search engine, bibliographic management programs such as Zotero or EndNote make it easy to create a personal collection of references (citations and/or articles) and cite them in your document in the citation style of your choice.
- EndNote offers many of the same features as RefWorks, yet must be purchased. It is available from the University Computer Store, TechZone.
- Mendeley is a free application and does not require Internet access. It can query PubMed for more accurate citation information and matching PDFs, yet with mixed success.
- Zotero is open-source and free, yet requires an additional plug-in to manage PDFs. Internet access not required.
*Briscoe Library provides classes and support for Endnote.
APA Citation Style
APA Guidelines - 7th Edition by Quick reference guide to the 7th edition of the American Psychological Association's publication manual for rules of punctuation, reference citation, structure and format in 6 laminated handy pages filled with the answers you need for these commonly used guidelines. This style guide is used largely in academics, psychology, communications, business, nursing, social sciences, criminology, education, economics and more. Having a quick reference handy can speed up the writing and editing process allowing the writer to focus on the quality of the paper, ensuring a better grade if you are a student or a more professionally clean article or paper if writing for publication in your field. For the convenience and benefit of increasing the quality of your writings, the price makes it easy to add this to your writers toolbox. 6 page laminate guide includes: What is APA Style? Scientific Writing Manuscript Structure & Content Clear & Concise Writing The Mechanics of Style Visuals & Results Paper Format with Sample Paper Citing Sources in the Text with Examples Reference Type List Sample Reference List Publication Process Suggested uses: Students - Handy reference while writing papers, collect the set of guides you need for your classes to easily switch between styles Professors/Teachers - Keep handy while writing for academic journals in your subject area Professionals - Use while writing academic articles or papers for publication
Publication Date: 2020-05-01