Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Once you are in practice, it is important to stay current in your profession and with the lifelong learning associated with evidence-based practice. Check out the resources on this page to assist you with that endeavor.
Health Policy Institutes
Health Policy Institutes and Think Tanks can be great partners. They also publish quite a bit of research.
Here are some great examples:
TMC Health Policy Institute
- Seeks to drive innovative, evidence-based initiatives throughout member institutions
- Aims to increase access to care through innovative initiatives
Center for Health Policy at the Brookings Institution
- Dedicated to providing practical solutions that achieve high-quality, innovative, and affordable health care throughout the United States
- Conducts research, develops policy recommendations,a nd provides technical expertise to test and evaluate innovative healthcare strategies
Professional memberships can be invaluable. They provide a place to connect with peers, exchange ideas, and gather information. This is also a place where you can mentor others.
National Institute of Nursing Research
NINR aims to:
- Build the scientific foundation for clinical practice
- Prevent disease and disability
- Manage and eliminate symptoms caused by illness
- Enhance end-of-life and palliative care
Podcasts are usually free and are a great way to:
- Listen to experts in the field
- Discover thinkers and leaders in your field
- Keep up with current trends
- Often sponsored by reliable sources like the American Journal of Nursing
Resources at your location
Your place of work may offer access to:
- Subscription databases
- A medical librarian
Some of these resources may be portable if you wind up leaving to work elsewhere.
Freely Available Resources
There is a lot of good stuff out there. Take advanage of it!
•PEDro (Physiotherapy Evidence Database)
•Translational Science Institutes
Some things are worth the subscription price in order to stay current in your field.
Consider the following:
- Journals that come with professional memberships
- Subscribing to trade journals
- Focused on you and your peer group
- Ex: Nurse Leader
- TRIP Database
- Reliable, EBP search engine for healthcare providers and researchers
- Low-cost individual subscriptions
- Free access to Clinical Practice Guidelines citations