Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Write N Cite VS Citation Manager Add-In
|Write N Cite (WNC)
||Refworks Citation Manager (CM) Add-In
||Before You Begin:
Can use with:
- Word for Mac, 2008 & 2011
- Windows 10, 8, & 7
- Word 2016, Word 2013, and Word 2010
Can use with:
- Word for Mac, 2016
- Windows 2016
- Verify that your operating system and version of Word are compatible with RefWorks tools.
- The Word program is closed and not running.
- Mozilla Firefox is open and accessible. You will have the best results using Firefox for this process.
||Access through the "Insert" tab via "Add-Ins"
|Use without Internet access
Need Internet Access
|Always in the Word command ribbon
||Bring up via Add-Ins in the "Insert" tab
| FYI - CSL Citation Styles
|Please note that RefWorks' CSL format styles (Citation Style Language-open source) are available for use in RefWorks and RefWorks Citation Manager but are not supported in Write-N-Cite and GoogleDocs. You can read more about CSL styles here.
For Word 2007-2016:
- Log into RefWorks.
- In the command ribbon, at the top of the page, locate the three dots that indicate, "more".
- Choose "Tools".
- Scroll down to the option for "Cite in Microsoft Word".
- RefWorks should detect whether your machine is 32 or 64 bit and recommend a download.
- Click on "Download" and follow the prompts.
Add In CM
For Word 2016:
- Open a Word document.
- In the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the page, find the button with the little red shopping bag that says "Store".
- Search for RefWorks in the box that pops up.
- Click on "Add".
- A column on the right-hand side of the screen will open and load RefWorks.
- Sign into your RefWorks account to access functionality.
- See instructions from RefWorks for visual help.