Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Write N Cite VS Citation Manager Add-In
|Write N Cite (WNC)
||Refworks Citation Manager (CM) Add-In
||Before You Begin:
Can use with:
- Word for Mac, 2008 & 2011
- Windows 10, 8, & 7
- Word 2016, Word 2013, and Word 2010
Can use with:
- Word for Mac, 2016
- Windows 2016
- Verify that your operating system and version of Word are compatible with RefWorks tools.
- The Word program is closed and not running.
- Mozilla Firefox is open and accessible. You will have the best results using Firefox for this process.
||Access through the "Insert" tab via "Add-Ins"
|Use without Internet access
Need Internet Access
|Always in the Word command ribbon
||Bring up via Add-Ins in the "Insert" tab
| FYI - CSL Citation Styles
|Please note that RefWorks' CSL format styles (Citation Style Language-open source) are available for use in RefWorks and RefWorks Citation Manager but are not supported in Write-N-Cite and GoogleDocs. You can read more about CSL styles here.
In order to run Write-N-Cite, you must have Java on your machine.
- Go to Apple Support to get the legacy version of Java SE 6 for Macs
- The site should automatically detect your operating system and provide a link to download the appropriate version of the software. If this does not happen, you will need to determine what system your machine is running and decide which version of Java to download.
- Download Java and follow the prompts
- If your Mac disables Java, follow these instructions to ensure it will run.
For Word 2008 & 2011:
- Log into RefWorks.
- In the command ribbon, at the top of the page, locate the three dots that indicate, "more".
- Choose "Tools".
- Scroll down to the option for "Cite in Microsoft Word".
- RefWorks will detect that your machine is a Mac.
- Download Write-N-Cite.
Verify Write-N-Cite is Added to Word
Now that you have completed the process, you will need to confirm that it worked. Follow these steps to ensure that Write-N-Cite is available to you through Word:
- Open a Word document.
- Look for a new toolbar.
- If the toolbar does not appear,
- Go to "View"
- Select "Toolbars"
- Enable Write-N-Cite.
Add In CM
For Word 2016:
- Open a Word document.
- In the "Insert" tab of the toolbar at the top of the page, find the button with the little red shopping bag that says "Store".
- Search for RefWorks in the box that pops up.
- "Trust" and download the add-in.
- See instructions from RefWorks for visual help.
- You will then see the RefWorks Citation Manager on the right pane of Word 2016.
- Log in to your RefWorks account.
- You should see all the references in your account.
- To insert a reference to your manuscript, simply mouse over the reference, and click the "Cite this" button.
If there is No Store Button
Sometimes the "Store" button doesn't appear in the toolbar even though you're running Word 2016. To get the button to appear, follow these steps:
- Go to the "Insert" tab in the menu ribbon.
- Click the "Add-ins" icon on the bar.
- Select "Store".
- The red shopping bag icon should appear.
- Select the "Store" icon.
You may also need to install an update. Read these instructions from Apple about checking for and installing updates.
Connect to RefWorks
- Click on the icon that looks like a little person in order to:
- Log into RefWorks
- Activate your account in your Word document.
- For the CM Add-In, go to the Insert tab in Word every time
Find Your Version of Word
Determine your version of Word:
- Open Word.
- Create a new document.
- Go to the Word Menu.
- Choose "About Word".
- A dialog box will open showing the copyright date.
- If the dialog box does not appear:
- Click on "Word" in the menu ribbon at the top of the page
- Select "About Word"
- View the version running on your machine