Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Think broadly and abstractly!
- Terms with the same meaning
- Hypertension/High blood pressure
- Terms with alternate spellings
- Complex concepts described inconsistently
- Long-term, patient-reported satisfaction…/Patients’ experiences with…
- Umbrella terms and specific names
- Sexually transmitted disease/genital warts, syphilis
- Keywords and database-specific subject terms
Visual Queue for AND OR NOT Boolean Operators
Image from https://www.quora.com/What-makes-Boolean-Algebra-different-than-Binary-Code
Construct Search Strategies
Construct search by combining concepts with Boolean operators. Use keywords and subject terms in combination.
Boolean Logic Operators:
||limits results, both concepts
||stoma AND bowel cancer
||more results, either concept
||stoma OR colostomy
||excludes concept(s) from results
||java NOT coffee
Translating PICO into a search strategy tutorial